Sunday, February 12, 2017

Another Week of Changes Again - January 28, 2017

Hello Everyone, Wow I cant believe that I just finished my 5th week of changes here in the offices. It was a crazy week once again of trying to get everyone organized and everything to work smoothly. Thankfully this time we didnt have to go to the bus station at 2 in the morning or there werent any road blocks so everything worked out great. So anyways on Monday we were able to receive the new missionaries here, there were 8 of them and 3 of them came from the United States. On Monday we did the normal routine of training them and giving them their orientation on the mission. But we did something on Monday night that we had never done before, we decided to take them out contacting for a few hours and make sure that they knew what they were getting into. We took them to one of the hardest areas of the city here and we started to contact, and these guys were awesome!! They are so prepared and it brought such a peace to me that everything was going to work out this change because they had come prepared and ready to serve the Lord. They were so positive and were participating with their broken Spanish and truly they are a huge blessing to the mission. On Tuesday we took them to the bus station and sent them off to the Itsmo and the Coast. Then afterwards we had to go and move all of the furniture out of the houses that got closed this last change. When Elder Moore and I got back from doing that, my companion and Elder Vasquez had been working on the things here in the office. Elder Vasquez had a lot to do and so Elder Moore and I went out and worked in his area for the night. We were able to meet some great people and it was a great opportunity to see some of the work that is going on under the zone leaders. We were both able to learn a lot of things that we need to apply and things that we need to work on and improve and it was great to be able to have those few hours to work with him. On Wednesday we said goodbye to the group of missionaries that finished their missions. Most of them had been my companions or had been in my districts so it was really hard to see them go. But they all have plans to go to BYU in the fall so I know that I will be able to see them there. But they were all great examples to me in everything and helped me to grow as a missionary. The part that really hit me was that they are the last group of missionaries that are American to leave until my group goes home in July. We are officially the oldest Americans in the mission now!! After we went to the airport early that morning at 4, we came back to the office and took a 1 hour nap to prepare for the special broadcast that we were going to have. Last year at this time we had one about teaching the power of repentance where we watched the General Authorities talk about ways and the importance of why we need to do it. This year it was a lot different. The General Authorities are so aware of our needs because they basically put up a camera in their board room for the missionary department and the Head of the Missionary department asked them the questions that had surfaced for this past year. And they just sat there answering the questions right there on the spot and building off of each other. I found that as it went on, I had at some point asked those same questions and I was dealing with a few at this time as well. One really hit me hard and impacted me. Elder Bednar was asked a question, I dont remember what it was but I am going to summarize his answer. I know that his answers were directly meant for me. He began by sharing a scripture in Alma 26:22 which says, 22 Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance. He stressed the importance of the word "giveth" in this scripture. Notice here that after we do all that we do, the Lord will give unto us that which is best for us. He said that success as a missionary comes when the missionary stops worrying and thinking about his success. He said that is comes when we are willing to do all that we can do regardless if we are given more or less than another missionary. He said that success is when we stop looking to be approved or applauded and look to get out of the way of the Holy Ghost. He told us that we need to be as good as we can be, and afterwards we will be magnified. And last, that "Fear is inaction, Faith is the principle of action" It all sounds so simple but it is what I needed to hear specifically and I know that the prophets and apostles are inspired of God. After the transmission we finally got to go to our area after about 5 days of not being there. It was hard. When we got there we immediately got out and started looking for those investigators that we had had before and we couldn't find any of them. So we started contacting and we contacted until we got home, not finding one single person that we could go back and teach. It was so humbling because it made me think to myself what do I lack to be able to recieve the blessing that I need from Heavenly Father, for him to give it unto us. On Thursday we had our training meeting for the new missionaries here in the city. It went great once again and we were able to make sure that they had the tools that they needed to prepare themselves to be successful missionaries. Afterwards we went back to our area and again went to look for our investigators. We couldnt find any of them once again. We contacted and contacted and we couldnt find any one. We walked miles and miles that day looking for everyone possible and no one was home once again. But it was interesting, that experience helped me to know that everything was going to work out for us, that God would provide us with at least one person eventually that would be ready to be baptized. On Friday we had our leadership council to decide what we need to do to be able to implement the new time schedule each day and we created a vision for our mission. President Madsen lost his voice so he asked me to present it and direct the Leadership council for him. I was so humbled and we were directed to do what the Lord wants us to do here in the mission. Afterwards we had to go to the office to prepare everything to share with the mission. Overall, this week we couldn't find one single investigator, it was quite possibly the hardest week of my mission, but I know the Lord is aware of it, and it is a call to humble myself and await his blessings as I do all that I can do. I am thankful for weeks like this, because they are the trial of our faith in order for us to receive miracles. Our area is in need of a miracle, and I know that it will be coming soon, big or small, Heavenly Father is watching over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment