Sunday, November 5, 2017

Master the Tempest is Raging - June 5, 2017

Buenas Tardes a Todos, Well this week I have never experienced so much rain in my life. On Monday this last week it began to rain as soon as we left the computer lab, and it didnt stop raining here until Friday morning. The streets had water up to my knees and we were constantly soaking wet. By some miracle we didnt get sick but it was a really fun experience for sure to be walking around in a flooded San Blas trying to teach people. On Wednesday we didnt know if there was any hope of the rain stopping so we bought traditional sandals and started teaching in those. I will attach a picture of what we looked like and what it was like. But it was so fun. The good news of the stormy week is that somehow we were able to help Jorge get baptized!! It was hard because he lives at the top of the hill here and to get up there it was as if we were climbing a waterfall. But we got up there and we had plans to postpone his baptism for the next week because of all the rain and the inability to get up to his house. But when we got up there the first thing that he asked us is "Am I still going to get baptized this Saturday?" and we asked him if he wanted to, and he told us that he did no matter what happened with the weather, that he was going to be ready and that he wanted to be a member with Germain and Carlos. He then asked us how he could help his family to be a part of the true church and be baptized. We talked for a long time with him about temple work, and the way that he could invite his brothers and mom to come to church with him. He is going to be a great member of the church and a great missionary now and later. It was a great experience to prepare him this week even with the crazy conditions. Hermano Rogelio continues to do a ton of work right now. I dont know if I have talked about him but everytime we go walking past his house he shouts to us and tells us that he has a new friend that he wants to hear the gospel. Anyways Rogelio came through big this week. About 3 months ago, when we were waiting for President Madsen in the park we started to contact. We contacted an older guy named Hector there, and he told us that he loved reading and that he was a firm Catholic. He told us for about 30 minutes about all of his beliefs and everything that he had done in the church, eventually we had to go and nothing came of it. Anyways on Tuesday Rogelio called us and when I answered it was Hector talking. I didnt remember him or his name but he remembered mine. He said "Hermano Peterson, remember me? I need your help and support!! I want to be baptized in the Mormon Church" I have never had a call like that before in my mission and I thought he was joking. Yesterday we were able to find him for the first time and we taught him. He told us that he had an addiction to drinking and wanted to be done with it. We told him that he needed to have faith in Jesus Christ, and then he asked what more he needed. We proceeded to read Acts 2:38 with him and he asked when he could get baptized. We put a date with him for June 30th and will be visiting him throughout the week. Anyways it was a crazy week but I learned that there is nothing that can stop the work of the Lord. The songs of "Let us All Press On" continued to run through my head and at times I found myself singing the words to it as we waded through the water. We will not retreat, though our numbers may be few When compared with the opposite host in view; But an unseen pow'r will aid me and you In the glorious cause of truth. Fear not, though the enemy deride; Courage, for the Lord is on our side. We will heed not what the wicked may say, But the Lord alone we will obey. This week we did not retreat, although there was very little, an unseen power was literally pushing us along, and we can testify of that in all that we did this week. The Lord prepared the way and put a light into our work even though there were storms around us, we went forth in the cause of truth.
My first time trying Ignuana Tamales (The meat is really chewy) Hermana Rubi gave them to us.
Flooded San Blas with my Sandals
Jorges Baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment